When we asked everyone at our offices what they think makes FC successful, the overwhelming response was, “the people that work here”.
This reflects one of FC's core aims - to search for great individuals in the first place and, when we find them, to keep them challenged and fulfilled:
- We give them a lot of responsibility early as well as the freedom to develop and prove their own business ideas
- We help them develop in a broad sense – over and above specific conference organising skills we teach them how to run a business
Our culture is built on the belief that, while breadth and depth of skills are important, it’s really by giving people clear goals and genuine ownership that we enable them to succeed.
Giving ownership means:
- Teaching people the skills to make their own business decisions
- Encouraging them to grasp big opportunities rather than pulling them up on small mistakes
- Giving them room to learn from their own experiences
- Ensuring they share in the rewards of their success
People will choose to work hard if they are building their own future. Give them the freedom and support, and they can flex their entrepreneurial muscles.
Proof that this works is that many of our people eventually run a business for us, or go on to run a business for themselves.
A trust culture
Integral to our approach is also a belief that if we treat people with openness, honesty and trust then they will pay us back with the same.
Our belief is that people work together because they want to, and because there’s something in it for both of them. And that people will get something done because it’s important to them, not because we say they’ve got to stay until it’s finished.^ top >next